A community for brighter futures

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE WINDSOR VILLAGE SUBDIVISION

​In 1956 Helen McKinstry was a 65 year old woman living alone on the family farm.  She decided that the farm was too much for an old spinster and decided to put the property up for sale.  Lester Prokop jumped at the chance and purchased the land.  Shortly there after, Mr. Prokop filed a plat with the City of Houston to start the subdivision called Windsor Village.  The first street was called Heatherbrook Dr.  The first home in the subdivision was built at the comer of Heatherbrook and Altair.  Unfortunately, the subdivision that started with great fan fare and promise in 1956 did not grow for several years.   No other homes were built until 1959.  Mr. Prokop remained busy with his Westbury and Meyerland developments.  In 1959 people began to turn south from Westbury and discovered the sleepy little village called Windsor.  The lots were larger and yet not as expensive as the property north of the tracks.  Also, Mr. Prokop would let the buyers pick a floor plan from the homes being built in the Westbury subdivision.  The builders that helped develop Windsor Village included Stanley Bennett, Norman Dobbins, Jack Bryant, Elliot Loy and Guy Barney.
 
 In 1964 Mr. Prokop sold 17 acres of land South of the bayou and facing Heatherbrook to the Southmont United Methodist Church.  A church was built there and later named Windsor Village United Methodist Church.  It was known as the fastest growing Methodist Church in the Methodist Conference.
 
Windsor Village Community now consists of 880 single family homes.  The geographic area is bordered on the north by Oakham St. and Darlinghurst Dr. on the east by Altair Way and South Post Oak Road,  on the south by Tiffany Dr, on the West by Harris County Flood Control District drainage easement with five (5) distinct entrances:
 
  • South Post Oak Rd. @ Heatherbrook
  • South Post Oak Rd. @ Trafalger
  • Polo St. @ Grapevine and Croquet St.
  • Grapevine and Croquet St
  • Darlinghurst Dr. and Croquet St.
 
Lester Prokop registered in Harris County, Texas Section I Deed Restrictions December 29, 1955.  Section ll was recorded March 30, 1956.  Section III was recorded March 19, 1959.  Section IV was recorded June 3, 1960.  Section V was recorded May 28, 1962.  The final Section VI was recorded May 6, l963.
 
The original Deed Restrictions were drawn up by the five builders and Lester Prokop, probably as directed by the loan companies involved.  As a general rule, banks will not give loans where no Zoning Laws or Deed Restrictions exist.  Since there are no Zoning Laws in Houston, the banks insisted on Deed Restrictions to stabilize property values.
 
Pre-Civic Club Growth was very slow until 1962 when the big expansion boom started.  Back then, South Post Oak Rd was bumper to bumper traffic due to no signal lights between South Main and the end of South Post Oak which was dirt (unpaved) and only 2 lanes.
 
The Beginning of Windsor Village Civic Club, Inc.
 
The first week in March 1954 Prokop arranged with the Windsor Village School for a note to be sent to the parents living in Windsor Village, inviting them to participate in organizing Windsor Village Civic Club, Inc.  The meeting was held on March 10, 1964, with Richard L. Reedy being selected to become the first President.  Mr. Reedy a lawyer would handle all legal work involved in filing our new organization with the Texas State Attorney General.  In three weeks our Constitution and By-Laws were read to a packed house and were approved, along with the election of 5 Officers and 7 Board Members to serve for one year.  The incorporators of the organization were Clark Moore, R. W. Litton, Sybil McAllen, Bob Lavigne and Vernon Smith.
 
 
Outstanding Accomplishments of Civic Club during the first 3 years, of its existence:
 
  • Started "The Village Voice" (a neighborhood newsletter) which is still in service today. 
  • Started the Windsor Village Teenage Civic Club which functioned for approximately 4 years
  • Successfully lobbied for traffic lights at Heatherbrook and South Post Oak
  • Successfully lobbied for a Park with a building
  • Arranged for 3 carnivals with the Civic Club receiving 25% off all rides plus $15 for each game booth
  • Started the Windsor Village Girls Softball League
  • The Civic Club joined with the Windsor Village Garden Club in taking care of all the entrances including McKinstry Blvd.
  • Sponsored several teenage dances and hay rides

Ongoing accomplishments:

  • Amended By-Laws (November 13, 2012 and October 14, 2014)
  • Amended Deed Restrictions in 2005 and 2016
 
 Although records over the years have been lost, we press on with the current records.  Windsor Village has become a destination of choice for families and civic minded home owners.